Year End Summary 2022-23
This guide has been designed to help you complete the necessary year end tasks for 2022-23 and move forward to start processing and reporting 2023-24 payroll information. It can be accessed at any time by clicking ‘Help – Online – End of Year Guide’ from the main menu in the Payroll Manager software.
This page covers the following areas:
- Filing the last RTI submission for 2022-23
- Producing P60s for employees
- Creating a new payroll data file for 2023-24
- New for 2023-24
- Important deadlines
Items 1 and 3 on this list (filing the last RTI submission for 2022-23 and creating a new file for 2023-24) can actually be done in any order, although we recommend that you finish entering data for 2022-23 before creating the file for 2023-24.
1) – Filing the last RTI return for 2022-23
Your final FPS return for the tax year should be sent, as always, on or before the payment date of your employees. In practice this means that you should have filed all of your FPS returns for 2022-23 by 5 April 2023. HMRC also require that you send a ‘Final Return’ for 2022-23, which Payroll Manager automatically schedules for you by creating an EPS return. For full instructions please see the guide Filing the last RTI return for 2022-23
2) – Producing P60s for each employee
The P60 summarises an employee’s total taxable pay and deductions for the year. You need to provide a form P60 (either paper or electronic) to each employee on the payroll who was working for you on the last day of the tax year (5 April). The employee must receive their P60 no later than 31 May. See the P60 guide for more information.
3) – Creating a new payroll data file for 2023-24
Payroll Manager stores the payroll information for each tax year in a separate data file on your computer. In order to continue processing payroll from April 2023 onward, you need to create a new data file. Payroll Manager does this for you and carries forward all of the relevant payroll information from one tax year to the next. The guide Creating a new payroll data file for 2023-24 takes you through this process.
4) – New for 2023-24
There are a number of items that will affect payroll in 2023-24, such as new rates of statutory pay, and changes to student loan repayment thresholds. For more information on these and other items please see the New for 2023-24 guide.
5) – Important deadlines
- 5 April 2023 – You must have sent your final FPS for the tax year 2022-23 by this date (although you should of course still submit FPS returns on or before the final pay date of the year, as per HMRC rules, which may be before 5 April 2023)
- 19 April 2023 – You must have sent your final EPS submission for the year by this date. This serves as your ‘Final Submission’ to HMRC for 2022-23.
- 31 May 2023 – You need to provide a form P60 (either paper or electronic) to each employee on the payroll who was working for you on the last day of the tax year (5 April). You must do this by no later than 31 May. Make sure that you have the payroll file open for 2022-23, then click ‘Forms – End of Year P60’ to produce these.
- 6 July 2023 – Expenses and benefits annual returns – If you provide employees with expenses and benefits then P11D and P11d(b) are still sent as a separate submission to HMRC and should be sent by 6 July 2023 where applicable. Please refer to our Expenses and Benefits Guide for more information.